Since I’m a writer, it’s no surprise that I’m in love with words.
Words can inspire, motivate, comfort, uplift, and encourage us. Words can help us have a positive outlook on life and even make our spirits soar.
With that in mind – since this blog is all about finding happiness – I wanted to share several of my favorite quotes on the subject.
These sayings are brief and to the point, but will help you feel a bit wiser and happier. Why not ponder on these tidbits of wisdom and try to incorporate their messages into your life?
Before you begin reading, perhaps it’s good to remember that happiness itself should not be our ultimate goal. As Albert Einstein said, “Happiness never appeared to me as an absolute aim. The ideals that have lighted my way are kindness, beauty, and truth.”
So ready, set go! Hope you love these quotes as much as I do!
1. It isn’t what you have, or who you are, or where you are, or what you are doing that makes you happy or unhappy. It is what you think about. ― Dale Carnegie
2. There is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving. ― Apostle Paul quoting Jesus
3. Sometimes the things you are most afraid of are the things that make you the happiest. ― Kiara Leigh
4. The moments of happiness we enjoy take us by surprise. It is not that we seize them, but that they seize us. ― Ashley Montagu
5. We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have. ― Frederick Keonig
6. Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need. ― Matthew 5:3
7. When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us. ― Helen Keller
8. The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one does. ― James M. Barrie
9. A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people to whom it is easy to do good, and who are not accustomed to have it done to them; then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one’s neighbor — such is my idea of happiness. ― Leo Tolstoy
10. Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you. ― Nathaniel Hawthorne
11. Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ― Abraham Lincoln
12. Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ― Eleanor Roosevelt
13. Joy is a flower that blooms when you do. ― Author Unknown
14. Being happy doesn’t mean that everything is perfect. It means that you’ve decided to look beyond imperfections.― Gerard Way
15. If you want to be happy, be. ― Leo Tolstoy
What are your favorite quotes on happiness? I’d love to hear them! Feel free to share in the comments below.