6 Benefits of a Positive Attitude
Have you heard that saying, “Some days you just have to create your own sunshine?”
Why should you follow this advice and give up that little black cloud over your head? Studies show that having a positive attitude not only contributes to happiness but also plays a role in living a longer, healthier life.
“Thousands of articles in virtually all popular, medical, health and news journals tout the benefits of PMA (positive mental attitude) on longevity and many other positive aspects of aging,” says Dr. Peter Norvid, a geriatric specialist treating patients at Adventist Hinsdale and La Grange Memorial hospitals and medical director for Heartland Hospice. “Optimistic people live longer, have closer personal relationships and are able to deal with the negative things that happen to them in a way that allows them to continue to be able to be there for others so that others can help them.”
In addition to health benefits, here are some more reasons to replace negative energy with a hopeful spirit:
- A confident outlook helps you search for solutions and consider possibilities you can’t envision when your head is clouded with hopelessness, frustration, and self-pity. Problems are no longer problems, but become opportunities to learn and grow. Failures are considered blessings in disguise.
- Optimism helps motivate you to achieve your goals. If you expect positive results, you’re more likely to achieve them. A positive attitude helps you enjoy your work, think creatively, and rely less on others for inspiration. You experience improved self-esteem and confidence which allows you to believe in yourself and your abilities.
- Who wants to hang around negative people? If you’re a positive person, you have more friends and enjoy better relationships with family members. You are more influential and people respect you more. Since attitudes are contagious, you’ll have the ability to inspire and motivate others as well.
- A positive attitude empowers you to make better decisions, opens doors to opportunity, and helps you overcome obstacles. Optimists tend to devise a plan of action, marshal their resources, and ask others for assistance and advice instead of dwelling on their misery.
- Negativity drains you! Keep your chin up and you will have more energy.
- A positive attitude can make you more resilient. Irrepressible people are able to face a crisis or trauma with strength and resolve. You’ll cope more easily and bounce back from setbacks sooner. Instead of falling apart, you have greater inner power and perseverance and won’t give up. You develop the ability to move forward and overcome adversity.
In conclusion, with a positive attitude, life smiles at you. You choose happiness and thereby choose to have more success in all areas of your life.
If you want to learn more about how you can develop a positive attitude, check out my previous blog Five Ways to Cultivate a Positive Attitude.